If you weren’t capable to snap up a hand sanitizer earlier than stores sold out, you can compose your one. You can uncover the basic ingredients in any drug store and most grocery stores.
Ingredients you will need:
- Aloe vera gel- one-third cup(1/3)
- 91% Isopropyl alcohol (must be rubbing alcohol) – two-third cup (2/3)
- Essential oil (any fragrance of your choice) – optional
- Mixing bowl- small or medium
- A spoon
- An empty container- a 3-ounce container
- Masking tape (for labeling purpose)- a small piece
Procedure to follow:
- Take a mixing bowl, add isopropyl alcohol along with the aloe vera gel and stir until well incorporated.
- Afterward, you need to add eight to almost ten drops of scented essential oil which is optional but will give you a nice fragrance. Blend it well.
- Your homemade sanitizer is prepared. Just pour the homemade hand sanitizer into an empty container and seal the container. This is ready to use. Write “hand sanitizer” on a piece of masking tape and stick to the bottle.
What the CDC suggests?
The CDC suggests that 60% of alcohol content can be used in hand sanitizer. This formula makes such a sanitizer that vaguely exceeds that alcohol content at 60.66%, so you need to follow the proportions precisely. If you wish for a sanitizer that should contain a higher alcohol percentage, you can reduce the amount of aloe vera to 1/4 cup.
Oregon Health & Science University: Robert Hendrickson, who is the medical director for the Oregon Poison Center at Oregon Health & Science University, articulates that if homemade sanitizer is prepared properly, then it is effective. He further added that washing hands with soap and water is favored in most cases.